Sunday, December 1, 2013

Advent: A Time for Firsts

As many of us know today is the first day of Advent, one of my favorite seasons in the church and in my own life.  Today as I reflect upon my first Thanksgiving away from my family I am thankful for being able to connect with people here who are supportive of me and what I am doing with my life.  The holiday this year was spend with my supervisor and his family as well as a Bolivian family.  I am so blessed to work around such diverse people who celebrate each others culture.  After dinner, I got the chance to Skype with my family, it was interesting to see how my grandparents would respond to this technology.  It was hard to see my family but not be able to see them or reconnect, but to chat with my family over the internet made it much better.
I have noticed that in Seattle the weather changes and gets colder around the beginning of November almost marking the beginning of the holiday season. In Oklahoma the weather changes so often that in November or even today, December 1, the weather can get up to 60 degrees but a week ago it was snowing and ice was all over the road ways.  Houses are beginning to light up with the decorations of this holiday season.  It brings me joy and sadness to be so far away from home yet so close at the same time.  I love being home with my family watching silly Holiday movies, making cookies and sitting near the fire.  It is so exciting to be here in Oklahoma, making a difference in the lives of those I am working with as well as growing in myself and in my confidence in my faith as well as in general. I have loved meeting new people and being able to sit by myself in church.  This is something I would have never been confident in doing a few years ago.  I thank God that I am here and I am growing in who I am, while figuring out what God wants me to do with my life!

God Bless on this first Advent Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment